We all have limiting beliefs that are keeping us from achieving our goals and dreams. The first step in overcoming our limiting beliefs and allowing room for our dreams is to begin noticing what those limiting beliefs are. Then, we need to take conscious action to overcome those beliefs and replace them with new, empowering beliefs. Here are some techniques to do that:
1. Choose to stop agreeing. Ultimately our thoughts are our thoughts and although we might have believed the lie of limiting beliefs in the past, we can choose to stop believing them now.
The past does not equal the future and we can start changing our future today by remembering that we are children of God, made in His image. And remember, God doesn’t make junk.
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” (Ephesians 2:10)
Although the enemy would prefer we forget that, we can start to take charge right now, today, and claim the wonderful things God has in store for us by choosing to stop agreeing with him.
2. Pay attention. Once you have chosen to stop accepting your limiting beliefs, you need to start noticing what those limiting beliefs are and when they plague you the most. Figuring this out is key to making a change.
You’ve got to pay attention. When you pay attention to where your mind is drifting when you’re “not thinking about anything”, you will start to uncover those limiting beliefs. You will be able to identify them because they will seem to just spin round and round, building up on each other, crowding out your peace and joy. Job 27:20 says: “Terrors overtake him like a flood; a tempest steals him away in the night.” Those are the beliefs the Enemy is using to keep you from allowing God’s blessings into your life.
3. Question your beliefs. The next step is to challenge those limiting beliefs when you have them. Approach them as though you were a “know-it-all” teenager arguing with his or her parents. For example, suppose you hear your limiting beliefs telling you that you are too old to find your ideal mate. Challenge that belief with questions such as: “Has anyone my age ever found their ideal mate? How often? Isn’t it possible that I could do it too? Who says I’m too old?”
Doubt and resistance may just cave right there to your persistent, badgering questions against your limiting beliefs.
4. Test your assumptions. You’ve heard the phrases “act as if”, and “fake it ‘til you make it”, and now is your chance to give it a try. You have identified a limiting belief and challenged it to a point where you have at least lowered your doubt and resistance; now it’s time to get your big toe wet and start to wade into the unknown.
Sign up for a singles event at church or strike up a conversation with someone you find interesting. Whether it goes as planned or not, ask yourself the question: “Did I survive?”
Since the answer is “yes” (or you wouldn’t be around to answer the question), you can be sure that your past limiting beliefs about the subject are really just a story you’ve been telling yourself. Intend to build a new story for your life, as God’s amazing child.
5. Change your thoughts. Now, it’s time to change those negative thoughts and beliefs into positive declarations. Instead of “I’m too old to find love and get married”, say “My best years are still to come – I am a child of God and He will lead me to my ideal mate.” Instead of “I’m not good enough”, say “I am God’s masterpiece and I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!”
Start building your arsenal of positive declarations and affirmations. Memorize your new positive affirmations, repeat them over and over in the car or on your daily walk. Embed them into your subconscious so that when the Enemy strikes with a negative limiting belief, you have the ammunition to crush those thoughts with positive, God affirming truths.
Excerpt from God’s Law of Attraction: The Believer’s Guide to Success and Fulfillment available on Amazon.com in paperback and as a Kindle download.